- 1 Why Should You Buy The Best Ice Maker – Factors to Consider
- 2 5 Top Rated Under Counter Ice Makers of 2017
- 2.1 Whynter UIM-155 Portable Under Counter Ice Maker – Stainless Steel Body
- 2.2 Sunpentown IM-150US Undercounter Ice Maker – built- in front ventilation
- 2.3 Edge Star Portable Under Counter Ice Maker – For Commercial Use
- 2.4 U-Line BI95B-00 14 Portable Undercounter Ice Maker
- 2.5 SPT IM-600US Under-Counter Portable Ice Maker – Best For Restaurants
- 3 What’s The Best Portable Under Counter Ice Maker -:- Suggested by Icely
In today’s time and day, everything is simply about the game of convenience and a matter of minimalization. Almost everything had been innovated and develop to be as compact and portable as possible, but at the same way still able to give out more than that is expected.
Imagine this, it is a warm summer day and you just want to drink an ice-cold lemonade or water, but the problem is there is no ice available, it is such a sad and stressful feeling.
A regular refrigerator’s freezer can accommodate a little amount of ice, and it is not practical for a simple home to purchase an ice machine or ice maker because it is simply huge and pricey. Now, refrigerators have a small portion for ice maker, but even that is not enough.
Lucky for us, someone had thought of addressing this ice problem through under counter ice makers. This will give establishments an ice maker that will not really require a lot of space in their place, and something that a modern home can consider of including in their house.
Ready to find the best undercounter ice maker for your needs? Let’s dive right in!
Why Should You Buy The Best Ice Maker – Factors to Consider
Knowing the different things that are considered or found in a “best” product is a good thing to be aware of. It is one way of an assuring that you are investing in a worthwhile product, and that you have a quality one that will not cost you any further spending.
Ice may be a simple thing that you often use, but what you are investing on is on the process on which it is made. Here are a couple of factors you may want to take into consideration to help you filter choices and finally find that ice maker for you.
Is Your Ice Maker Energy Star Rated?
Of course, the amount of energy you consume on a monthly basis is one of the major references you may look into. With an ice maker being run by electricity, you will want something that does not require too much or that may add a chunk amount of in your monthly electricity bills.
It is best and advised that you always check on how energy conserving your choices of ice makers are. One thing to keep in mind is that an ice maker that is ENERGY STAR rated may help you save 15% on electricity and about 23% on water.
Understanding The Water Filtration Technology Of The Ice Maker
Another thing to consider is the water filtration system that will be incorporated in your ice maker. I mean, come on, with water being the only and basic ingredient for ice, you want to assure safety as well. Remember that ice will melt in your drinks, and all that it is made of will be consumed by you.
Although water filter is not a necessity, it is highly recommended that you consider having it. First, for health reasons, you will want your ice be made of safe and clean water. Another is that, it may be a factor when it comes to your machine maintenance that can lead to an extension of product life span.
Ice Maker That Are Space Savvy
One of the things you consider before purchasing a home and kitchen appliance is the amount of space that it may take in your home. Another thing is, every home has a concept or design that it moves around on, and you would not want to have had spent a chunk of money on your interior designer or architect just to have everything ruined bya simple ice maker now, would you?
If you find an ice maker wherein you can have the door panel customized, or something that will fit to your décor then great! Otherwise, you may want to settle and consider a standard freestanding one that will blend easily with your furniture.
Let’s face it, ice makers will require water because it is the main composition of it. Although, most under counter ice makers cannot take on keeping ice frozen all the time, which is why they require a separate drain line.
If you can afford on buying a high- end and modern ice maker, then most probably you will not have to think of the drainage capacity of it as they can surely keep ice frozen all the time. For the standard ones, they will need a drain line as they already have a ventilation system that can take care of the rest.
Which Cooling Systems Is Used For The Ice Makers
There are two types of cooling systems for ice makers, first one is the air cooled. Units that are air cooled may be a bit cheaper but the con is that they can also tend to be noisier. Plus, these units are the ones that usually emit a warm exhaust air that can affect the room temperature.
The other type is the water cooled. These are the units are the ones considered to work efficiently and quietly, although it may be priced a bit higher that the other type. It may also affect your water bill as it requires water to effectively run.
Types Of Ice
Surprising as it may sound, but the type of ice a person needs or require is a common problem which is taken seriously by companies and customers.
However, it had become a major contributor in helping out buyers in filtering out the ice makers that they will be considering. Below is a list of the different types of ice that an ice maker may produce, which may help you too:
- Cube. This is the most common type of ice that you usually see in your beverage, and is used almost everywhere – even at the comfort of your homes. It is the one that an ice tray of your refrigerator is designed after.
- Flake. The ice that are flake shaped are the ones you commonly see in the market wherein seafood and health care products are usually bruised with. They are soft ice, that may seem semi- crushed, that are mostly used for preservation purposes.
- Crushed. Crushed ice are probably the ones that are easy and comfortable to chew, and are most commonly used on snow cones. They are opaque and varies in shapes and sizes.
- Nugget. This ice type comes in a variety of shape and sizes, and you may probably have saw this in convenience stores wherein it is used when they serve drinks. It is commonly included in the keg system of their beverages.
- Gourmet. Basically used in high end, or establishments to help beverages maintain its temperature for a longer time. It is harder than that of the other types, and it melts slower to keep drinks chilled.
- Crescent. Usually found in the food and beverage industry, this ice type is a great help in terms of keeping the drinks chilled and when the place is preserving food.
What is The Purpose Of Buying An Ice Maker
With the usage of ice depending on your place, it will be easier for you to narrow down the ice makers to consider.
Knowing why you need it, and where you need it is good question to ask yourself before dropping a huge amount of money for this almost any appliance.
- Cafeteria. With an almost predictable amount of traffic a cafeteria receives, you can bet on calculating about one pound of ice per person. So, for you to avoid any ice situations or problems, invest on a sturdy machine which you can rely on peak hours.
- Restaurants. Ice has a variety of use for establishments in the food industry. They can be used for drinks, a dish, and even for preservation. A calculate on or allotment of about one and a half pound of ice per meal may be a helpful reference.
- Health Care. The medicine and health industry is a good market for ice maker sellers, as they require a huge amount of seven pound of ice per patient. This is a good reference on how much the urgency for ice is at this sector.
- Lodging. With locals and tourists going away for a quick or long vacation, these lodging establishments’ ice requirement can go for about three pound of ice per person depending on the season.
5 Top Rated Under Counter Ice Makers of 2017
Finding the right ice maker to consider can be hard especially if you do not have an idea of what is or are the ones considered to be a good one in the market now.
To have an idea of the ice makers being considered on the top now is a helpful list to have, which is why I am listing five ice makers you may and should consider.
The capacity of this ice maker machine is quite okay for a storage capacity of about six pound of ice, and can produce about 12 pounds of crescent- shaped ices. It is designed to fit any home, and with its sleek stainless body, it will surely add sophistication to your modern kitchen design. This is undoubtedly the best undercounter ice maker for a lot of folks.
Generally, this product is okay. With it meeting almost all the criteria for a best ice maker machine, it is definitely a product you cannot take off your list without careful consideration. The only possible concern is the noise complaints it receives, make sure that it is water cooled to avoid such concerns, or if you can tolerate it then okay.
This ice machine will not require a separate drain line, so your budget is safe. It can as well store a good six pound of ice smoothly, which you can use as a built- in machine or a stand alone depending on your concept.
However, even if it does not require a complicated installation process, seeking assistance from experts may still be advisable.
Overall, some may say that this product is defective or performs only half of what it is expected to do, but if you take a good look at it the main concern arises with its water connector. This is a problem that can be instantly act upon by you, so choose a sturdier replacement to avoid further damage. The capability of the machine is far more than its flaws.
A commercial- grade stainless steel door, this ice maker machine by Edge Star is designed with computerized controls that can produce a good quality cube- shaped ice for different types of establishments and use.
It has a black and quite thinner built compared to a regular ice maker, which can help you easily have it incorporated or built- in under a counter or have it stand alone. It can produce a good 45 pounds of ice which is opted to be restaurant quality, but good for daily use too.
The concerns raised in this product are something that you can actively change and control. Upon installation, you may ask for your plumber’s advice on how you can effectively manage the noise it produces, but best to make sure with the seller whether or not it is air por water cooled and why some may have raised this concern. Another is, unless you are really going for a specific ice type, it should not be a major concern, as long as the product and its by- product does its job you are fine.
When compared to other ice maker machines, it may be priced a bit higher but it is simply because of its capacity and features.
With its all- black design, it will surely add style and sophistication to your kitchen. Plus, with its compact size and height, it will not require you to allot a huge amount of space for its placement.
Aside from that, its size is not going to be a concern when it comes to it capacity as an ice maker machine.
This is a great ice maker for home use, and even though it is priced a bit higher, you may want to consider the fact that it will not require too much when it comes to water and energy supply. It is a win- win situation for you, you will be provided with enough ice needed for home use and you do not pay too much for it. It is product that proves that sometimes, size is not a measurement of capabilities.
It is designed to meet the need of restaurants, and other establishments with the same ice needs whether it be shape, quantity and quality, this stainless steel under counter ice maker will fit into any décor.
This may be the least product to consider in this list, with it not an advisable ice maker for built- in designs, it might as well serve as a regular ice machine. Although, I have nothing against this product as I am sure that it is as reliable as any ice maker machines, but there are other products that can give you the same quality without some of its cons.
What’s The Best Portable Under Counter Ice Maker -:- Suggested by Icely
Choosing the right ice maker machine for you may be a challenging investment decision, better make sure that you know exactly where to use it and put it to avoid purchasing something that does not fit your décor and lifestyle.
Ice type is already a vain factor for consideration but if you are using it for business, it will be a good factor to help you set a tone for your establishment. This product is a helpful thing to have in your place just makes sure you really need it as it does not come cheap.
We hope this article helps you find the best undercounter ice maker for your needs.